**NOTICE: it seems a few people have received shorter-than-normal safety ropes. Your rope should be able to span entire length of bed and have enough to be tied to leg of ramp. If yours is too short, send us an email to email@example.com and we'll send you a new one right away, free of charge.**
Below you'll find our training, installation, and troubleshooting videos. Even though the DoggoRamp is quite intuitive for both humans to setup and for dogs to use, we recommend you watch these videos to ensure you have the optimal setup, and that your dog is ready and comfortable to start using the ramp! If you ever have further questions or need further assistance, we're happy to help. Just shoot us an email.
Make sure you conduct training exercises BEFORE installing the ramp.
- Start with the ramp completely flat on the ground, and get your dog comfortable walking up and down it. Use a treat to lead them, and always use positive reinforcement and encouragement - not negative.
- Increase the ramp to the lowest height setting, position at a couch or sofa, and practice there, once again using a treat to lead them.
- Depending how quick your dog takes to the concept, increase the height settings until you're at full bed height, where you can now install it to your bed (see below).
- Once ensuring safety rope attached, lead them up and down the ramp to the bed. Never force the dog by pushing or pulling them up or down the ramp. They must do it on their own. However, you can use your body position to somewhat block them from going backwards or over the side of the ramp as you lead them up and down.
- Practice as many times as necessary. Most dogs get it very quick, but if your dog is a little extra stubborn, don't worry. All dogs will get it with enough practice, as just like water, dogs take the easiest route down, and if you can show them the ramp is easier, that's what they'll use.
- ANOTHER TIP: instead of using treats, use their actual food and conduct the training during their eating/dinner time. So if you feed kibble, use the kibbles as a treat and feed them their dinner over the course of the training period. Or if they eat soft food, use a place mat and place the bowl up on the bed, only allowing them to eat when they properly use the ramp. This will add a LOT more motivation & memory to their training!
!! SAFETY ROPE MUST ALWAYS BE INSTALLED !!
- The wood block should be outside of the mattress, and placed directly opposite of where it is tied to ramp on opposite side of bed.
- Ramp can be positioned at foot of bed or to the side, as long as safety rope spans directly across.
- Rope should be taught with no slack.
- Tied directly to a footboard is okay.
- Rope should be tied to leg of ramp directly where exist the mattress, not a couple inches below, above, or to the side.
- If rope is at an angle from where tied to the ramp, this can shift over time creating slack in the rope.
- Do not position safety block just under the mattress; it needs to be outside the mattress to hold properly, otherwise will slowly shift, even with a heavy mattress.
REST OF INSTALLATION:
- Only once reviewing the training video and ensuring your dog is comfortable on the ramp, set it up to your bed.
- Adjust ramp to appropriate height along foot of bed, with ramp angled down towards nearest exit of the room.
- Follow directions on installing safety rope to ensure ramp will not tip over.
- Install railings into place along outside edge.
- THEN proceed to allow your dog to use the ramp. We recommend close monitoring and many practice runs before you give them free reign to use the ramp.
3. Troubleshooting, Alternate Setups, & Additional Training
This next video covers:
- Additional setups & orientations for those who have different types of beds, such as sleigh beds or high foot boards.
- Tips for how to orient the ramp for extra stubborn dogs.
- Additional training recommendations.
4. Contact Us
If you're experiencing an issue, need help or training tips, or just want to send us a note, you can email us directly and we'll do our best to work through it and find a solution for you!